Saturday, June 11, 2011

My ways to save on school expenses

Whew..week one of the my back to school fever was already over..So far, the transition from summer vacation to school time was kinda smooth sailing. Perhaps I couldn't have done it without much preparation on my part. As a single mom, I am really so particular about saving up and trying to stretch every peso a little bit longer. With all the "F" and "B" parents are encountering ( I mean fees and bills, not food and beverage haha ), we really have to be creative enough to think of ways to save. So, here are some of my tips to save on school expenses.

1. I usually make two kinds of list just before the school starts. My first list was for all the things to do. Having a to do list is an effective way to getting yourself on the right track of doing things right and not forgetting anything. Sometimes my list also comes with the budget if an entry needs to be paid. The second list was the things that I needed to buy. Like notebooks, pencils and other school things..I'm really forgetful at times so a list certainly was a great help for me and I would not likely buy the things that are not needed anymore, which means savings on my part.

2. I do usually checked some things that can still be used, like school uniform, shoes, etc. If it's still in good condition, why buy a new one. Kids will also learn to become wise spenders when they mature. Plus they will learn the value of recycling :P. Your closet will thank you too.

3. Pay the tuition in full. Most schools gives discounts if you pay for the whole year. It's not that big but at least you will save something. Plus you will be stress free of going to school from time to time just to pay for the tuition. It's a big savings on time and transportation expenses too. You'll will be paying it anyway, so if you have a budget, pay it in full.

4. Sometimes is it wise to buy school things way before the classes starts like as early as summer vacation. Most malls offers as much as 50% discounts on shoes, bags, notebooks etc.. when you purchase earlier. It's also a cool way to avoid the rush.

5. Hiring a carpool to fetch my daughter from home to school and vice versa is also a way of saving on my part. When she was in grade 1 and 2, I used to accompany her to school and fetch her during dismissal time. Yet the downside of doing it was that she will ask me to go eat first at Mc Donalds or to the mall before going home. So, I get to spend more as a result. Now that she had a carpool service, I save time for myself too by doing other things. I think it also teaches kids to be more responsible on themselves alone.

6. Give school allowance just enough for your kid on that day. Some parents do gave their children allowances on weekly basis. But kids can get impulsive when they have a ready cash on their hands. With all the stuff luring them to buy, sometimes all their money will be gone just before the week ends. Sometimes, I do prepare lunch and snacks for my daughter too. Yet there are times I also wanted her to choose what food to buy for lunch at school so she will learn how to handle her expenses as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment